Water Island Capital is defined by its people. While diverse in background, the individuals at our firm are united by their talent, drive, and dedication. If you build your career with Water Island, you join a dynamic team that seeks to constantly grow, lead, and innovate on behalf of our clients.
We seek individuals who are intellectually curious, will thrive in a collaborative environment, and who want to have a discernible impact. If you are interested in employment opportunities at Water Island Capital, please contact us.
Quantitative Risk Analyst – New York, NY
• Quantitative Risk Analyst to work within the firm’s Risk Management team in an effort to build risk applications and provide support to the firm’s Risk and Portfolio management teams
• Primary responsibilities include (i) designing, obtaining and managing large financial data sets (ii) developing quantitative analysis tools that interface with other software platforms and departments firm-wide
• A basic understanding of tradable financial instruments such as securities, derivatives and capital markets
• Experience in visualization technology for portraying large and complex datasets
• Proficient with open source frameworks and development tools such as: Python (NumPy, SciPy, Pandas), Matlab, R, etc.
• Strong knowledge of one or more database technologies such as MSSQL, MySQL
• Experience in Monte Carlo simulations, derivative pricings, Black-Scholes and financial modelling
• Experience with Bloomberg API is a plus.
• Experience with risk management principles and associated analytics tools - an advantage
• Experience with multi-factor regression models
• A self-starter with the ability to take abstract requirements and operate in a highly dynamic, multi-tasking environment while producing high-quality analysis
• BSc in Math/Stats/Engineering with strong academic performance
• Master’s or higher degree in Financial Engineering/Statistics – an advantage
• 1-3 years of relevant experience
Fullstack Software Developer – New York, NY
• Work within the firm’s Risk Management team in an effort to build and maintain web-based software applications and provide support to the firm’s various teams
• Primary responsibilities include (i) back-end development of risk system (ii) designing and maintaining databases (iii) developing web-based infrastructure projects (iv) designing front end applications for visualization
• 2-3+ Years of solid knowledge of various language(s) such as C++, C#, C. Python is a plus
• Hands-on experience building modern web applications, with experience deploying to public or private clouds such as Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, Openstack, Rackspace or similar providers
• Experience with jQuery, PHP, AJAX, Photoshop
• Experience with API design and development
• Proficient with a range of open source frameworks and development tools such as: Django, NodeJS, AngularJS, Backbone, ReactJS, Python (NumPy, SciPy, Pandas),
• Strong knowledge of one or more relevant database technologies such as MSSQL, MySQL, Oracle, Mongo DB, Hadoop, KDB/One Tick
• Relevant experience with web-based development and visualization technology for portraying large and complex datasets
• Experience with algorithms and data structures
• Familiarity with a variety of programming styles (e.g. OO, functional) and in-depth knowledge of design patterns
• BSc in Computer Science/Math/Stats with strong academic performance
• Minimum of 2 years of software development experience
• Experience in Financial Services is a plus
Investor Relations Associate – New York, NY
• Water Island Capital is seeking an experienced Investor Relations professional to support our growing firm. We are looking for a self-motivated, highly detail-oriented, accountable professional who has demonstrated the ability to work under pressure, to manage multiple deadlines and is willing to provide hands on support to the investor relations team, as well as strategize with senior colleagues across the firm. Candidates with prior investor relations, client servicing experience encouraged to apply.
• Assist in compiling timely and accurate client deliverables including DDQs, RFPs, client presentations, monthly/quarterly commentaries, portfolio positioning analyses, and performance and risk attribution reports.
• Manage a diverse range of marketing activities including developing relevant and unique marketing collateral, writing CIO letters and authoring white papers.
• Maintain and ensure performance data and information integrity for all investor databases.
• Assist in the development of strategic and analytical frameworks for investment product development.
• Develop and maintain excellent relationships with both existing and prospective investors with the goal of helping our clients broaden their understanding of our firm’s investment process and capabilities. Where appropriate, the Investor Relations Associate may be asked to represent Water Island Capital and our investment strategies directly to our clients, particularly as this individual gains more experience and content depth.
• Collaborate closely with various teams throughout the organization including sales, investment, risk management, operations and compliance to assist with the development of client materials and analytics.
• 5+ years of relevant investor relations experience at an asset management firm.
• Good familiarity with investor relations terminology and documentation, with an ability to communicate topics related to alternative investment strategies, the competitive landscape, financial markets, investment principles, portfolio statistics, and risk analytics.
• Exacting attention to detail absolutely required.
• Must possess excellent relationship management, verbal communication and project management skills.
• Robust writing skills.
• Willingness to work in a team-based environment and contribute to product development, marketing, and related efforts simultaneously.
• Must possess the flexibility and adaptability to thrive in a fluid and high paced environment.
• Up to 10% travel required to visit clients, attend conferences and other sales events across the country.
• Bachelor’s Degree required; advanced degree preferred.
• CFA/CAIA or progress towards a CFA/CAIA designation preferred.
• Advanced Microsoft Office skills, including strong proficiency in PowerPoint and Excel.
• Series 7 & 63 required (or commitment to acquire appropriate licensing)