Water Island Capital is defined by its people. While diverse in background, the individuals at our firm are united by their talent, drive, and dedication. If you build your career with Water Island, you join a dynamic team that seeks to constantly grow, lead, and innovate on behalf of our clients.
We seek individuals who are intellectually curious, will thrive in a collaborative environment, and who want to have a discernible impact. If you are interested in employment opportunities at Water Island Capital, please contact us using the form below.
Senior Risk Management Professional for Event-Driven Investment Firm
We are seeking a full-time risk manager with strong analytical skills and prior risk experience to join a risk management team that is responsible for implementing and managing the firm’s risk management infrastructure. This individual will join a team that is responsible for implementing the tools and the framework to support risk monitoring across portfolios, client accounts and investment strategies.
• Augment an existing risk methodology and attribution system to identify idiosyncratic and systemic risks across investment portfolios and across asset classes
• Understand the portfolio in detail and monitor for risk exposures outside of defined parameters
• Monitor, communicate and escalate to Senior Management any issues that might arise in the areas of risk exposure (measured across numerous fronts), liquidity, security-level concerns and compliance with investment guidelines across sub-advisory accounts
• Partner with portfolio managers, traders and analysts to develop appropriate risk budgeting process
• Partner with investment team to identify the ideal execution strategy and structure for investment opportunities, using vanilla products, including options, futures, forwards, swaps and bonds to create required payoffs
• Develop and prepare portfolio analytics and risk reports for internal portfolio managers and produce specialized reporting for external clients and consultants
• 7+ years of risk management experience at an asset management firm or a banking environment
• Experience in risk measurement and monitoring with a proven aptitude for advanced analytic techniques (sensitivities, simulation, regression, stress test)
• Solid understanding of Equities, Fixed Income, Options, Swaps, Credit derivatives and FX
• Be “market savvy” – possess as good a knowledge of markets, instruments and portfolios as a trader/PM would
• Ability to present analysis clearly and effectively
• Team-oriented and proactive approach
For the right candidate, this position offers the long-term potential for growth and expanded leadership within the firm. This position offers a competitive base salary commensurate with experience and participation in the firm’s profitability bonus pool. Benefits include tuition reimbursement, health, dental, 401(k) and vacation plans.
Fullstack Software Developer – New York, NY
• Work within the firm’s Risk Management team in an effort to build and maintain web-based software applications and provide support to the firm’s various teams
• Primary responsibilities include (i) back-end development of risk system (ii) designing and maintaining databases (iii) developing web-based infrastructure projects (iv) designing front end applications for visualization
• 2-3+ Years of solid knowledge of various language(s) such as C++, C#, C. Python is a plus
• Hands-on experience building modern web applications, with experience deploying to public or private clouds such as Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, Openstack, Rackspace or similar providers
• Experience with jQuery, PHP, AJAX, Photoshop
• Experience with API design and development
• Proficient with a range of open source frameworks and development tools such as: Django, NodeJS, AngularJS, Backbone, ReactJS, Python (NumPy, SciPy, Pandas),
• Strong knowledge of one or more relevant database technologies such as MSSQL, MySQL, Oracle, Mongo DB, Hadoop, KDB/One Tick
• Relevant experience with web-based development and visualization technology for portraying large and complex datasets
• Experience with algorithms and data structures
• Familiarity with a variety of programming styles (e.g. OO, functional) and in-depth knowledge of design patterns
• BSc in Computer Science/Math/Stats with strong academic performance
• Minimum of 2 years of software development experience
• Experience in Financial Services is a plus
Investor Relations Associate – New York, NY
• Water Island Capital is seeking an experienced Investor Relations professional to support our growing firm. We are looking for a self-motivated, highly detail-oriented, accountable professional who has demonstrated the ability to work under pressure, to manage multiple deadlines and is willing to provide hands on support to the investor relations team, as well as strategize with senior colleagues across the firm. Candidates with prior investor relations, client servicing experience encouraged to apply.
• Assist in compiling timely and accurate client deliverables including DDQs, RFPs, client presentations, monthly/quarterly commentaries, portfolio positioning analyses, and performance and risk attribution reports.
• Manage a diverse range of marketing activities including developing relevant and unique marketing collateral, writing CIO letters and authoring white papers.
• Maintain and ensure performance data and information integrity for all investor databases.
• Assist in the development of strategic and analytical frameworks for investment product development.
• Develop and maintain excellent relationships with both existing and prospective investors with the goal of helping our clients broaden their understanding of our firm’s investment process and capabilities. Where appropriate, the Investor Relations Associate may be asked to represent Water Island Capital and our investment strategies directly to our clients, particularly as this individual gains more experience and content depth.
• Collaborate closely with various teams throughout the organization including sales, investment, risk management, operations and compliance to assist with the development of client materials and analytics.
• 5+ years of relevant investor relations experience at an asset management firm.
• Good familiarity with investor relations terminology and documentation, with an ability to communicate topics related to alternative investment strategies, the competitive landscape, financial markets, investment principles, portfolio statistics, and risk analytics.
• Exacting attention to detail absolutely required.
• Must possess excellent relationship management, verbal communication and project management skills.
• Robust writing skills.
• Willingness to work in a team-based environment and contribute to product development, marketing, and related efforts simultaneously.
• Must possess the flexibility and adaptability to thrive in a fluid and high paced environment.
• Up to 10% travel required to visit clients, attend conferences and other sales events across the country.
• Bachelor’s Degree required; advanced degree preferred.
• CFA/CAIA or progress towards a CFA/CAIA designation preferred.
• Advanced Microsoft Office skills, including strong proficiency in PowerPoint and Excel.
• Series 7 & 63 required (or commitment to acquire appropriate licensing)
National Accounts – Account Manager - New York, NY
Water Island Capital, advisor to The Arbitrage Funds, was founded in 2000 with a focus on event driven investing. The firm, which is based in New York City and is 100% employee owned, manages $2.5 billion in public, private and sub-advised funds. Water Island Capital is a recognized leader in liquid, non-traditional investments.
Overview of the Role:
• Water Island is seeking an experienced Account Manager to join its Sales and Marketing team.
• Successfully drive product approvals, generate sales and retain assets at large financial intermediaries including Bank Trusts, RIA’s, Consultants, Multi-family offices and other relevant sales channels.
• Successfully penetrate multiple layers of the financial intermediary organization by proactively engaging in high-level dialogue with:
o Home office investment analysts
o Model construction teams
o Relationship and sales teams
o Mutual fund operations teams
• Oversee all aspects of client relationships
• Visit clients and attend conferences or other National sales events (up to 25% travel)
Because this role is highly visible and reports directly to the firm’s Director of Strategic Relationships, the Account Manager may also be asked to collaborate with the firm’s other account managers who interact with financial advisors and high-end investors.
Experience, Skills and Competencies Desired:
• Superior sales skills and a thorough understanding of alternatives/mutual fund vehicles
• Exceptional relationship building skills and the ability to successfully collaborate with others
• Excellent relationship management, verbal communication and project management skills
• Willingness to work in a team-based environment
• Prior relationships with Bank Trusts, RIA’s, Consultants or Multi-Family office channels desired
Education and Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s Degree required; Advanced Degree preferred
• Minimum 5+ years of relevant professional experience in the Financial Services Industry
• FINRA Series 7 & 63 licenses (or willingness and ability to attain within 90 days)
Interested candidates should submit resumes to Salesjobs@wicfunds.com and reference "National Accounts – Account Manager" in the subject line of your email.
Software Engineer, Operations/Risk – New York, NY
• Programmer to work within the firm’s technology team in an effort to build web-based software applications and provide support, automation, and controls across the firm
• Primary responsibilities include automating existing functions, developing a robust UI to be used for workflow monitoring, reporting, and exception-based processing.
Core Attributes – An ideal candidate will possess:
• Relevant experience with web-based development and visualization technology for portraying complex data and workflow
• A self-starter with the ability to take abstract requirements and operate in a highly dynamic, multi-tasking environment while producing high-quality, scalable software
• A basic understanding of tradable financial instruments such as securities, derivatives and capital markets is a plus.
Desired Technical Experience:
• 1-2+ Years building production applications in Python. Familiarity with Pandas, Celery/Django framework is a plus.
• Hands-on experience building modern web applications, with experience deploying to public or private clouds such as Amazon Web Services (AWS)
• Strong knowledge of one or more relevant database technologies such as MSSQL or MySQL
• 1-2+ Years designing, building and maintaining REST APIs.
• Familiarity with a variety of programming styles and knowledge of design patterns
• Experience with version control (GIT,SVN)
• BA/BS degree in Computer Science/Math/Statistics/EE with strong academic performance
• Minimum of 2 years of software development experience